Takigyo, a once in a lifetime experience.
US $878.00 / Group
by 2 users
Takigyo requires you to stand under a 23m waterfall. It was originally a religious practice or ceremony. Takigyo is an experience that will test your limits and allows you to go through mental -training and self-discovery. There is an organization that conducts Takigyo for everyone at a mountain, about 1 and a half hours away from Tokyo.
Takigyo is a religious ceremony and there are rituals that the locals participate in. However, if you are uncomfortable to participate in such activities, it is not a requirement for you to be involved in the rituals. You are also free to take videos and photos.
Guaranteed to be one of the most memorable, thrilling and peaceful moments in your life!
This tour starts early in the morning and finishes around noon which is perfect for early risers. Shin matsuda station is where the tour ends and is only 15 minutes away from JR Odawara station. This is convenient for people going to western parts of Japan such as Hakone, Kyoto or Osaka. Also if you have an activated JR Pass for the date of Takigyo, you can use the Shinkansen, bullet train to get to Odawara.
Would you like to have an unforgettable experience in Japan?
I am Japanese born and bred but have spent happy years in Canada and the UK bringing up children and introducing Japanese culture/language at local schools.
I love hiking, traveling, eating and interacting with people so guiding is a perfect job for me. ( I'm a Government Certified Guide Interpreter.) I can take you to all the must-see places as well as quaky places in and around Tokyo. Making a plastic food sample, joining a bon dance at a summer festival, hiking at Mt. Takao followed by a relaxing hot spring bath....There are so many things to offer!
You will have a deeper understanding of Japanese culture and a better experience, if you have a friendly professional guide like me!
Sample Tour Timeline
Near Shinjuku Station (The guide will pick you up near Shinjuku Station as Shinjuku is so confusing!)
- Admission fee
- Karate wear will be provided but you can bring your own clothes if you prefer.
- Spare contact lenses or glasses if necessary
- 2 towels to dry yourself after Takigyo
- Water shoes such as crocks to cover your feet (especially toes!) during Takigyo (no flip flops)
- Transport expenses(approx. US $ 20~70)
- Inner wear (Swimming costume)
The price includes takigyo fee for up to 5 people.
Please contact the guide first before booking to check availability and details such as the meeting time, place, which railway company to use, or optional plan.
The guide will make a plan after discussing details with you by exchanging messages.
The final price will vary accordingly. A detailed estimate will be submitted before booking.
A group of 6 or more people can be accommodated subject to availability.
Additional people ¥9,800 per person
*Optional plan for having a hot spring bath and lunch after Takigyo is available upon request.
Meeting time varies depending on the dates as follows and can be changed subject to availability.
April 28~July 19, Sep.1~Oct.31 : 9am (Shinjuku station or Shinagawa station)
July 20~Aug 31 : 8am (Shinjuku station or Shinagawa station)
There will be other people joining takigyo at the waterfall and it might be fully booked depending on the timing of your application.
Please make sure to be on time; if you are late it may be canceled.
If the weather is severe it may be cancelled.
*Important Notes from the Takigyo Organization
1. You will need to take full responsibility for your action. Please listen carefully on what your instructor will say.
2. Please note we can’t take responsibility for any lost/stolen valuables, or injuries etc.
3. In cases where it is difficult to ensure safety (typhoons, heavy rain, etc.), you may have to refrain from entering the water.
4. If you have a medical condition or not feeling well, please refrain from Takigyo.
5. The time you are in the water doesn’t have to be long. It will be decided according to your physical strength.
Anyone over 10-year-old who is healthy and able to walk up the mountain to the location of the waterfall. (It takes roughly 10 mins)
Any trip or experience can be canceled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase.